[AT] OT - using pitchfork

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Feb 6 23:37:18 PST 2006

Yup.  The only modern piano I've run into that turned out to be a
disappointment all around is the big Bosendorfer. This is a concert
grand that is nearly 10 feet long.  It needs the extra length beyond the
standard 9-foot because of a half dozen extra notes stuck in at the
bottom end of the keyboard -- super bass notes that are darn near low
enough that you can sense the individual vibrations.  Unfortunately,
they come from the factory strung with wire in the treble section that
is too thick.  Therefore, to bring it up to pitch, you have to pull them
extra tight and they break very readily.

It's kind of like owning a Mercedes -- you feel really good about it and
enjoy it until you find out what at maintenance nightmare it is.
(Sorry, George, I'm not picking on you.  I owned a couple of Mercedes in
my lifetime.)  Kimball International bought them out around 20 years ago
and then divested themselves of the company several years later.  The
music department of one of the local universities felt really proud of
the fact that an alum gave them one of the monsters.  They quietly
traded it in a few years ago on either a standard Steinway or Yamaha.

At least it wasn't a Young Chang.  Those pianos have strange overtones
in the low bass that makes them difficult to tune.

Larry