[AT] OT - using pitchfork

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Feb 6 15:40:12 PST 2006

Larry D. Goss wrote:
> Tuning pin tightener.
>
> FWIW, this is a common problem in pianos.  Tuning pins are only held in
> by friction and when the maple dries out over time they loosen up and
> the piano will no longer hold its tune.  There is a product made to
> solve the problem.  It's called Tuning Pin Tightener.  Anybody can make
> it though; it's a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and glycerin.  I use Solox
> for the alcohol, but any source will do.
We had an antique Chickoring upright with that problem, and that is how
the tuner fixed things. But it still wouldn't hold the tune. We had a
hard time finding a home for that instrument, even giving it away. It
must have weighed close to 1000 lbs and took 4 very big guys to move it.

> If you have a really large gap in the handle, then apply some Gorilla
> Glue to the application before you insert the tang in the hole.  This is
> an expanding weatherproof glue that can be used to reconstruct wood
> after it has been miss cut.  The more it's constrained while it's
> setting, the more dense the resulting joint.  Available at Home Depot
> and other such places.
Yes, Gorilla glue is great stuff, but once you put it on a handle, you
will never get it off if the handle breaks. Also, use rubber gloves when
working with the stuff, or it will turn your fingers black where it
sits. (Don't ask me how I know this!)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Truth is not only violated by falsehood; it may be equally outraged by
silence.  -Henri Frederic Amiel philosopher and writer (1821-1881)