[AT] OT - using pitchfork

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 6 14:48:47 PST 2006

Vaugh
Depends on degree of looseness.   I ran two pieces of baler twine from forks
to handle on Dads old silage fork recently, as a temporary on-site fix.
Prior to this fix, the forks came off twice, to my surprise.   Decided to
fix it then to insure against further looseness during the on-off happening.
In this situation, that is my permanent fix.   If the looseness were
considerably more, I would removed deteriorated areas of wood, then add
"wedges to fit" during reassembly, with considerable pounding to complete
the last half inch of press fit assembly.
I was home four winters when we emptied the 14' x 40' silo, and I hauled the
silage at least half of the time.   Did not think much of it at the time,
other than when the wind would blow silage back up the chute.  I sorta liked
the smell of the silage; Mom did not.   Always got a real good cleaning of
clothes on the porch, with Mom using the broom, before going on in the
house.
Herb