[AT] Rivet how-to

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Feb 4 09:53:14 PST 2006

Good description of what the conditions were back in the 40's and 50's,
Farmer.  Mowing ditches was definitely hard on the knife.  We never had
a riveting tool, though, and we always pulled the knife for section
replacement.  The Herschel-Adams Riveting Vise that I now have is
designed so you can remove and install rivets on sections while the
knife is installed.  Every time I use it, I think back on how much
trouble it was to replace sections when all we had was a hammer and a
block of steel on the workbench.

With the Herschel-Adams tool, I'm putting rivets down through the
section so I end up with a really uniform appearance on the top of the
knife.  It's one of those little changes that I make when I know that
the real reason for rebuilding a knife is for show rather than for work.
When I was rebuilding a knife for Cecil Bearden last fall, I had to
insert them from the bottom (like they're supposed to be) because of the
design of the knife.  It has countersunk rivets on the sections.

John, you can make a rivet set of the right shape for your wheel spokes
by drilling a shallow hole in the end of a bar of steel.  The conical
shape will result automatically from the point of the drill.  But the
real problem as I see it is the amount of work it's going to take to set
a rivet that's a 1/2" in diameter.  I'd be tempted to heat the end of
the rivet with a torch so it doesn't take as much hammer work.

Larry