[AT] Rivet how-to

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Feb 3 16:55:08 PST 2006

There was a short story about the riveting process with the forge,
catcher, dolly, etc, that was in the literature reader we had when I was
a freshman in high school.  I think it was about the construction of the
Empire State Building.

My experience with riveting mower sections is that they have to swell
and fill the hole if you want them to last.  If you don't use a
technique that does that, the small amount of slop will cause the
sections to loosen up in no time at all.

When I was working on the MD-6, I decided I didn't want to rivet all
those sections by hand, so I bought one of the riveting tools that TSC
sells.  That device makes the process exceptionally simple and fast.
With it, I can install all the sections on a five-foot knife in around a
half hour.

I still use the sledge hammer and bench vise combination to remove
sections, though.  I've broken two punches on the expensive riveting
tool simply because I didn't have it lined up squarely before cranking
down to remove an old rivet.

Larry