[AJD] Generator conversion 6 to 12 volts

Michael Dixon mpmbd at yadtel.net
Thu Feb 2 17:33:36 PST 2006

I have not personally tried this. Others have told me that using a 12 volt
regulator and a 12 volt battery with a 6 volt generator will deliver the
proper (nominal) 12 volts, but that the amperage will be low and it will
charge only at higher speeds than as a 6 volt system. Now here is what I do
know. Excess amperage output is one common cause of generator burnout. Often
when a voltage regulator fails, it permits charging at too-high amperage
levels and thus damages the generator. In case of generator failure,
replacment of the regulator was advisable. In the old days the original
voltage regulator was matched to the amperage output of the generator, a 25
amp Chevy generator would use one regulator and a 35 amp Buick generator
would use a different regulator, both 6 volt. But a regulator with 25 amp
maximum used with the 35 amp generator would not damage it, but would limit
output to 25 amps. I suspect that today's regulators are set for low
amperage since mostly one-size-fits-all. Be sure to polarize the system
before running the engine. Polarize for the regulator type, most 12 volt are
negative ground. The generator does not care which polarity is used.