Factory oil recommendations (was Re: [Farmall] parts

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 16:42:45 PST 2006

JH-
  For what it is worth, my "bull pen" of equipment ranges from early IH  (e.g., Cub-stuff), John Deere (including a 1010 crawler), and more  recent machinery, as well.
  I use the best of what I encounter that is "on sale".  Same with  the lubrication for the transmissions and hydraulic applications.   As with you and with my friend Mr. Sloane, none of my machines ever  "went down" due to a problem with the lubrication products that I threw  at them.  My theory is (a) choose a decent product and (b) change  that product with regularity.
  Maybe in another twenty years (when my goods are owned by someone else  because I will be dead and gone) my practices will be proven  wrong.  Then again....
  Best regards and be slippery!
  JM

John Hall <jthall at worldnet.att.net> wrote:  By the same logic wouldn't todays 30W oil be better than that of 50 years
ago also? Regardless, we only ran one type of oil on our farm. It was used
in everything except cars. Never had a failure related to oil that we were
aware of. Used Phillips until we couldn't find it, then switched to Exxon.
Both were diesel oils.

As for the Hy-tran, we used it in the red tractors and Hy-gard in the green.
If we got caught without one or the other, we'd substitute. Never had a
problem. I do remember a test IH put out in the 80's The dealer took about 4
brands of hydraulic oil and put them in vials with so much water. The test
was to show how well Hy-tran blended with impurities. The Hy-tran came in
first , followed by a Quaker State I believe. I think Deere was third.

I don't know what was so special about it but the dealer my dad worked at
sold a IH low-ash 30w oil. Had one customer swear that anything else he put
in his Cadet would burn out, but the mower didn't use oil if he used the
low-ash.

Just my opinions and recollections, worth about half what you paid for them
:)

John Hall