[AJD] LA axles

Louis Spiegelberg louis at kellnet.com
Thu Feb 2 05:42:13 PST 2006

Tom,

I am not laughing at you.  I have been there and still get there at times.
The only thing that I can think of is to make sure that you pull the
bearings out through the quill holes first.  It has been a while since I
have had a final drive on an L series tractor apart.  If I am wrong, maybe
John can set me straight.  The gear has to be pretty straight and not cocked
to come out of the housings.

Another word of advise.  If you replace the seals in the differential
housing, where the axle shafts go in, that is part number AL2122T.  You can
still get that part # from Deere.  Guess what?  It doesn't fit very good.
If I remember, its OD is about .007" to big.  There is good new though.  I
have found that Deere part # HE509-0040 is an excellent replacement.  It
fits exactly.  It is actually a seal for an Onan engine.

Lou

http://www.srstractor.com