[AT] Ford built their own 2110 / Haban mower

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Dec 28 06:47:58 PST 2006

Stuart Harner wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Interesting thoughts on the backhoe.  I had wondered about the
> usefulness, but since there are so many outfits selling 3pt backhoes and
> CadPlans has several models, I figured it must work OK.  Does the
> backhoe want to pivot on the 3pt and put side loads on the arms?  I
> wonder if I could build something that attaches to the drawbar to
> compensate.  I really like the idea of being able to "dump" the backhoe
> off and not have to leave anything on the tractor that would be in the
> way of other tasks.
The Woods three-point backhoe for the 2000/4000 series tractors also
come with a bracket that bolts to the final drive to keep the whole
thing rigid. The bracket stays with the tractor when you remove the
backhoe.

> The 2110 reminds me a lot of the 8N, the way the controls are laid out
> and their action.
Actually, it is more like the 600/800 series, which it really is, but
even those models owe a lot to their N heritage.

>  There is a lever on the right side of the rear end,
> between the 3pt control and the ring gear.  I figured out that this
> disables the 3pt.
More likely that is the draft control.

> There is a hyd. pump to run the 3 pt. and there is a strange shaped
> rectangular cover bolted on top of the rear housing, just in front of
> and below the seat.  It looks like this may be a place to tap into the
> hydraulics.
Yes.

>  Question is, will the existing pump and reservoir have
> enough capacity to run anything else but the 3pt.?
As mentioned in a previous note, the pump puts out 4-5 gal./minute at
2500 psi. You will have to decide if that is adequate. (Most folks would
say it is not.) A LOT of 2000/4000 Ford tractors got loaders (Ford and
other makes) over the years, and many of them used pumps driven from the
front of the crankshaft. I would also caution that, if the tractor
doesn't have power steering, any Ford will be really hard to steer with
a loader on the front. And I would strongly suggest checking out all the
steering and front axle components - tie rod ends, knuckle
bushings/bearings, steering box, pivot pin/bushing, etc. - before adding
the weight of a loader.

> The weirdest part of this little 2110 is the really REALLY wide tires on
> the rear.  They are low profile turf tires and the rims are designed to
> not go back over the brake drums so the entire rim/tire arrangement is
> outside of the brakes.  This gives the rear end a total width of 96"!
> Great for stability when mowing, but difficult to transport or get into
> tight spaces.
That may be an "LCG" version (Low Center of Gravity) specifically sold
for mowing. The picture I have shows one with dual turf tires in the
back, but that was in the days before the wide rims and turf tires
became available.

> I need to find out a lot more about this model of Ford before I make a
> decision.  I can envision a way to make a quick attach type bracket to
> mount on the frame and be able to put a small loader and maybe a backhoe
> stabilizer frame on it.  I guess if the tractor could handle the loader
> hyd. but not a hoe, a separate PTO driven pump for the hoe would not be
> all that bad of a thing either.
Generally speaking, you would be much better off with a PTO hydraulic
pump for the backhoe. I see them advertised in Northern
<http://www2.northerntool.com/product/31754_31754.htm> and other
sources, and they generally provide much better flow rates (like 23
GPM!) than the 2100's internal system. But you are going to pay around
$400 for the pump, and then you still need valves, hoses, reservoir,
filter, cylinders, etc. While building a backhoe might be a fun and
interesting project, you might do a well to find a used hoe and perform
the usual replacement of hoses and welding of cracks for a lot less
money. While others have cautioned against using a three point hoe, if
it is only used for light work, and it has its own stabilizers, it might
work out for you. I sold a used Alps three point backhoe to a local YMCA
camp to use on their IH 400 series tractor, and it worked out very well
for them  - cleaning ditches and creek bottoms, not doing foundation
work in rocky soil.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who
want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm but the harm
does not interest them. -T.S. Eliot, poet (1888-1965)