[AT] Gone Shopping ??

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sat Dec 9 11:02:37 PST 2006

The physics of a outdoor wood burner mean that you will always have more smoke
than there should be from the fire, and you will use about twice as much wood
as a good indoor fireplace.

Note that I specified GOOD.   A Russian type fireplace can get close to 90%
efficency.   A badly designed fireplace can be negative, putting more heat up
the chimney than you get.

You have to decide if the mess, expense, and space for an indoor fireplace is
worth more than cutting twice as much wood to get central heating and safety.
Your call, I see both sides.

Wood fires need a firebox at more than 400 degrees, but the outdoor wood
burners have the firebox surrounded by water, making the temperature too cold
for good combustion.