Fw: [AT] 3 Point Backhoes NO GOOD

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sun Dec 31 19:32:06 PST 2006

Jeff it's still not the best arangement in the world but it's a heck of a
lot better than having it fastened only to the 3pt.  Actually I have trouble
understanding why the consumer product safety commission and other Fed
agencies allow a strictly 3pt hook up.

When I was trying to hook mine up and modify it to fit the D14 I was working
by myself and using the hydraulics to help me.  If you know anything about
D-14's the top link for 3 pt hitch (they didn't come with 3 pt hitch) is an
L shaped piece of 1/4 inch plate bolted to the rear end housing with the top
link ears welded to the leg of the plate.  It occured to me that I was
putting the housing in a bind so I unbolted part of the plate from the
housing so it could give without pulling on the housing.  Without even
trying to dig anything and just using the hoe and outriggers to move the
backhoe around so I could hook it up I managed to warp the adapter plate up
pretty bad.  As you said,  there is on way that housing could stand the full
ripping pressure of the hoe without something eventually breaking.

Charlie