Fw: [AT] 3 Point Backhoes NO GOOD

Jeff Pilbeam pilbeam100 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 12:45:57 PST 2006

Sounds like you have that one under control. I just dont want to see or hear of anymore 3 pt units Breaking tractors, In one case A Man was killed because it pinched him between tractor and hoe. That one was several years ago.

charlie hill <chill8 at suddenlink.net> wrote:
Jeff, I agree with you about the 3 pt backhoes. I have one. It's a MF
model and I can't tell you the # right now. I bought it cheap and it works
good now that I've made some modifications. I had to modify the 3 pt frame
a bit to get it to hook up to my D-14 but that was minor. Then it only
took
me a few minutes looking at it hooked to to my tractor to realize the top
link bracket and/or casting didn't have a chance. Here is how I fixed it.
I built a reaction bar that is fastened to the top arm of the backhoe frame
about a foot out from the top link attachment point. It is made from a
piece of 3/4" all thread rod. The other end goes through the hitch hole on
the drawbar. It has a nut above and below the drawbar. That way I can
tighten it up and transfer the torsional load to the drawbar and off of the
top link attachment. Or at least most of it. It helps a lot.
Eventually I intend to figure out how to frame mount it if I don't decide
to get rid of it.

Charlie