[AT] Wire size

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Thu Dec 28 19:21:26 PST 2006

Look for some wire made up of fine strands, and be certain that the
connections are solidly crimped. A bad or loose connection is a high current
circuits worst enemy.

On 12/28/2006 8:23:55 PM, Larry D Goss (rlgoss at evansville.net) wrote: > FWIW
 resistance varies according to the cross-sectional size of the wire > > and
it makes more sense to write that size in square millimeters rather in > >
square inches because of the numbers involved and because electricity is >
almost completely metric. If you look at the website H.L pointed to, > you
ll > see that the inch measurement for area isn't even listed. > There's a
reason > for that -- no one uses it. Six square millimeters is between 9 and
10 > gauge wire. For the distances involved between cylinders of the engine,
> either size would probably work because it's > going to be nearly a dead
short > anyway -- something on the order of 0.0003 ohms. > I'm assuming the
length of > each piece is going to be around 1/6 of a meter -- a little more
than 6 > inches. I doubt that there is a fuse in the glow plug circuit.
Since any > fuse would have a tendency to glow anyway, often an extra glow
plug is > installed in the instrument panel for that purpose. And, don't >
confuse 7 > millimeter DIAMETER insulation on spark plug wires as being
anything close > > to what's needed for this application. > > This thread
reminds me that we had lots of #9 wire around the farm all the > time when I
was a kid. Dad brought home a couple hundred feet of it from > the salvage
yard at GE in the mid-thirties. We used it for everything. It > was just the
right size for making a chicken wire for catching a chicken for
H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA