[AT] Wire size

rdhaskell at juno.com rdhaskell at juno.com
Thu Dec 28 21:14:30 PST 2006

Thanks to all who replied.  This is for the new glow plugs on the IH B275
that I had a lot of questions on a few weeks ago.  I scrapped the stock
system of glow plugs in series and went with 12v glow plugs in a kit with
the relay.  The directions called for the 6mm² wire.  I looked on the
Internet for metric conversion tables and could not find anything for
wire sizes.  Then from a suggestion from an Internet connection, I
checked for metric wire conversion.  That told me I needed 8 gauge wire.
I went to the local trailer repair store and they had 9 gauge wire so
that is what I got.  About 6" from the battery to the relay and about 16"
to the first glow plug.  These are fast glow plugs, the instructions say
from 3 to 7 seconds.  I tried it for 4 seconds and it started instantly.
Made me very pleased.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Have a Happy New Year

Ron Haskell
rdhaskell at juno.com
Riverside, California