[Farmall] rim paint

Bobby Guilbeau bguilbea at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 28 18:34:56 PST 2006

Yes, I guess it would be a little disheartening to have all the paint come
off after doing all the work to make it pretty again.  With the price that
Eastwood wanted for their paint I really didn't want to try the stuff unless
it worked well for some one else.

Thanks for your input,

Oh and do give you northerners some reading material being it's so cold for
you right know our high today was 70 with an expected low tonight of 58.  It
would be great if we had these temps year round here but........

Anyway, I started taking apart my fathers 1953 Super AV this fall.  The very
first thing I replaced was the clutch being it still had the original in it.
We had a small farm by today's standards a whole 40 acres. We planted some
15 acres in cotton, and sweet potatoes for a cash crop, about another 6
acres or so in corn for the cattle and chickens. Just enough farming for
this you fellow to know that was not the lifestyle he wanted to follow in,
but I do have a lot of fond memories working side by side with my dad.

I have since put the halves back together and started sandblasting parts a
couple at a time as I take them off.  I then apply Osphocoat(a phosphorous
acid that is supposed to stop the rusting process) then priming and applying
one finish coat.  Once everything is back together I will paint the whole
thing a second finish coat to take care of any scratches or anything else I
may have missed.  I guess there is really nothing like the experience of
just going through the process and doing it, this is the first project like
this that I have ever undertaken. And never realized how big of a job it is
of taking it all apart and cleaning one of these up to repaint.

One thing I have not made a final decision on is whether or not I will
overhaul the engine being I have taken so many parts off already. We changed
the rings, main bearings and reworked the head some 20+ years ago.  So with
that in mind it would probably be a good idea to do a complete overhaul
while I'm at it.

Happy New Year everyone,

Bobby Guilbeau, Ranger
Evangeline Area Council - BSA