[AT] Wire size

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Dec 28 18:23:55 PST 2006

FWIW, resistance varies according to the cross-sectional size of the wire
and it makes more sense to write that size in square millimeters rather in
square inches because of the numbers involved and because electricity is
almost completely metric.  If you look at the website H.L pointed to, you'll
see that the inch measurement for area isn't even listed.  There's a reason
for that -- no one uses it.  Six square millimeters is between 9 and 10
gauge wire.  For the distances involved between cylinders of the engine,
either size would probably work because it's going to be nearly a dead short
anyway -- something on the order of 0.0003 ohms.  I'm assuming the length of
each piece is going to be around 1/6 of a meter -- a little more than 6
inches.  I doubt that there is a fuse in the glow plug circuit.  Since any
fuse would have a tendency to glow anyway, often an extra glow plug is
installed in the instrument panel for that purpose.  And, don't confuse 7
millimeter DIAMETER insulation on spark plug wires as being anything close
to what's needed for this application.

This thread reminds me that we had lots of #9 wire around the farm all the
time when I was a kid.  Dad brought home a couple hundred feet of it from
the salvage yard at GE in the mid-thirties.  We used it for everything.  It
was just the right size for making a chicken wire for catching a chicken for
Sunday dinner.  About 60 or 70 feet of it got strung up between some trees
as a permanent clothes line.  My mother would wash it off every Monday
morning so the clothes wouldn't get stained from either the copper or the
bird droppings.  That wire developed a beautiful brown patina on it from her
constant attention to making sure it was clean.

Larry