[Farmall] Welding cast iron

olmstead at ridgenet.net olmstead at ridgenet.net
Thu Dec 28 12:28:34 PST 2006

Hi, Chris!  Haven't heard from you for a while.  30" lathe, huh?  I'm
"making do" with a 1944 12" Monarch CK.  I could turn the old ears off the
casting, but it is going to require welding two 3/8" or 1/2" inch ears
back on; the surface where the ears bolt to the tractor frame runs right
through the centerline of the tubular crank support, so a single plate
won't fit.  Welding new ears on the casting would certainly be the
cleanest approach.  Most of the dozen or so damaged brackets I've checked
out only have the mounting ears broken; the central tube is fine.  Two or
three of them also have broken tubes.  Regardless of whether I make new
tubes or not, I will have to fabricate new mounting ears.  I just figured
that if I made steel tubes, the whole cast iron welding problem would be
eliminated.  I have several friends who can do a fine job on mild steel; I
just don't think they'd do well on 70 year old cast iron.  I appreciate
your discussion of the metallurgy involved.  I knew that nickel rod was
recommended; I just didn't know why.

-Karl