[AT] Ford built their own 2110 / Haban mower

Stuart Harner sharner at starband.net
Thu Dec 28 06:08:34 PST 2006

Kevin,

Interesting thoughts on the backhoe.  I had wondered about the usefulness,
but since there are so many outfits selling 3pt backhoes and CadPlans has
several models, I figured it must work OK.  Does the backhoe want to pivot
on the 3pt and put side loads on the arms?  I wonder if I could build
something that attaches to the drawbar to compensate.  I really like the
idea of being able to "dump" the backhoe off and not have to leave anything
on the tractor that would be in the way of other tasks.

As for the 2110, I did get a chance to see it and drive it a little
yesterday.  I got there kind of late and it was getting dark.  After we
figured out it was out of gas and the salesman put some in for me, it seemed
to start and run just fine.  The tach cable is missing, so I really don't
have any idea what the hours are, but it shows 6500, so it has at least that
many.  I did not get a compression test done, and it did spin over quite
easily.  However, I did not see any blue smoke when it started and it is
only a little 3 cyl. engine.

The castings all have FoMoCo cast in them and I was able to find a number
stamped in the engine block on the right side just above the oil pan.  LG
2440864 167.  They also gave me the number of the guy that traded it in and
said it came from the Jamestown ND golf course.  I was surprised that it did
not look more beat up than it does. The seat hinges are nearly worn out and
need rebuilding, but I suspect any seat frame with that many hours on it
would look that way.

The 2110 reminds me a lot of the 8N, the way the controls are laid out and
their action.  There is a lever on the right side of the rear end, between
the 3pt control and the ring gear.  I figured out that this disables the
3pt.  The PTO lever is on the left of the housing down a little lower.  The
brakes need work, but function enough to put a load on the engine in all the
gears.  While the shifter is a little noisy when moving between gears, it
did not pop out of any gears.

There is a hyd. pump to run the 3 pt. and there is a strange shaped
rectangular cover bolted on top of the rear housing, just in front of and
below the seat.  It looks like this may be a place to tap into the
hydraulics.  Question is, will the existing pump and reservoir have enough
capacity to run anything else but the 3pt.?

The weirdest part of this little 2110 is the really REALLY wide tires on the
rear.  They are low profile turf tires and the rims are designed to not go
back over the brake drums so the entire rim/tire arrangement is outside of
the brakes.  This gives the rear end a total width of 96"!  Great for
stability when mowing, but difficult to transport or get into tight spaces.

I need to find out a lot more about this model of Ford before I make a
decision.  I can envision a way to make a quick attach type bracket to mount
on the frame and be able to put a small loader and maybe a backhoe
stabilizer frame on it.  I guess if the tractor could handle the loader hyd.
but not a hoe, a separate PTO driven pump for the hoe would not be all that
bad of a thing either.

As for the Haban mower.  I replaced all the guards except the inner most one
with standard 110 double guards.  Unfortunately, this changed the alignment
on the one single guard and it dragged enough to cause problems.  I have
since rebuilt the bracket where the pitman arm attaches to the bar and have
figured out how to space the old guard down for the proper clearance.  I
needed to use the chipper so I took the pto shaft back (too cheap to buy
another one) and have not had time to play with it any more.  If I get the
2110, I will need to trade it for a 9' just to get 5' out beyond those wide
tires!

There is nothing quite like jumping into 10 more projects when there are
already 50 that aren't quite finished!

Thanks for the advice, it will not be ignored,

Stuart