[Farmall] O-12 chores

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 26 18:43:35 PST 2006

I've seen two different guys weld cast with something besides nickel rod.
One welded dad's 10-20 manifold with a mig gun years ago. This was before I
ever started getting an education on cast. Anyway, it is still holding.
I used to work with a guy who Tig welded heads for a machine shop and
guaranteed his work.

Most guys do as you say by preheating the parts and then slowly cooling
them. One friend used tohave a cookstove in his shop for controlled cooling
and heating. When I welded up the fuel pump on my Titan I heated it real hot
and kept it that way. Careful you don't get too hot and get a blow out when
welding--especially if you hit an air pocket. When done I  buried it in a
bucket of sand to provide slow cooling.

Of course you need to start welding some non-critical parts first. Then you
get to experience first hand what happens when you missed drilling out all
of a crack---10 seconds with the rosebud and then.....well, lets just say
cast iron can take you to school, and might send you home crying.

There have been some good threads on cast welding on either the AT or SEL
list---may have been on both. Some pretty knowledgable folks there.

By the way, McMaster-Carr is a good place to get odd and end pieces of matl.
for machining.

John