[Farmall] Welding cast iron

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Tue Dec 26 12:31:38 PST 2006

> > Got a challenge for you. Learn to weld cast iron.

> And welding cast iron is certainly a talent that I would like to have.

The front end on my Case VAH got beat up pretty bad about 30 years ago by a
certain irresponsible teenager.  Dad eventually found somebody who said he
could weld cast iron, and got the tractor fixed back up.

But one of the wheel stops on the front end is missing, and I assume it got
busted off way back then but never noticed.  So the left front wheel will
actually turn 90 degrees to the direction of travel if you're not careful.
To keep that from happening, years ago we put a little wooden clamp thing on
the front end that interferes with the steering linkage if you turn real
sharp.

Now I've got the old tractor back and would like to get that thing fixed up
right.  Sounds like finding somebody who will really do a good job on the
weld is going to be the hard part.  Any suggestions?  Karl, your description
of the process sounds helpful--I could at least compare it to what I hear
from whatever shop I find to ask.

(By the way, you had a VAH some years back, didn't you?  Still have it?)

Thanks--

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net