[Farmall] O-12 chores

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 26 12:25:58 PST 2006

A bit of an "outside" message, here.  Have you ever read "Zen and  the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?  There is a brief but  wonderful passage which involves the city-slicker author making a  cross-country trip with his son and the chain guard of his bike  cracked.  He stopped at some mid-west shop run by an old geezer  who welded the metal to "rights" and the author was marveling at the  quality of the job and tried to impart his appreciation of the welder's  competency.  The old fellow looked at him as if he had just come  down from Mars, as there is/was only one way to do such a task and that  is correctly.
 Anyway, the theme of the book is the pursuit of  quality and, if any of you are so inclined, I would suggest trying  it.  It is a great read and, to some extent, an eye-opene.
  OK...off topic but I could not resist sharing this.
  JM

olmstead at ridgenet.net wrote:  I agree that I have little to lose, John.  And welding cast iron is
certainly a talent that I would like to have.

What scares me is the guys who say "I've welded lots of cast iron, just
zapped it with the MIG, and it worked fine".  That goes against everything
I've ever read about what happens in the iron adjacent to the weld, which
gets very hot and then chilled by the base metal.  It winds up being very
brittle and under a lot of stress.  In order to do a lasting job on cast
iron, the whole part needs to be virtually red hot while you are welding,
and then cooled very slowly.

Then there's the problem with porosity, contaminated metal, warpage,
cracking and so on.  Doing it right is not a simple matter.  I figured
that I might be able to learn to braze a lot quicker than to weld.

Brazing and soldering are also magical techniques.  In order to do what
the experts do, you need to control the temperature of the pool so closely
that you can keep it in the 'mushy' stage, where it doesn't liquefy and
run right off the work.  I've never been good at that.

Gotta obtain some 2" round stock before I can start making crank
supports....  none in my scrap pile.

-Karl