[Farmall] Old iron - missing the point?

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 26 12:20:12 PST 2006

JN-
 Got to thinking about your memo and your (distrusting of old  iron) brother....I would note that now is a much better time to get a  good "deal" on a machine as opposed to spring.  Of course, I am  sure that you knew that.
 If I were him, I would take a  Saturday/Sunday and make a little road trip within a "circle of  comfort" in terms of transportation distance.  At least around  these parts, old soldiers are often situated along rural roads with a  homemade "for sale" sign plastered to the grill.  Also (again in  these-here parts) one can easily spot likely candidates sitting inside  of barns and outbuildings in various degrees of disrepair.  Often,  these buildings and tractors are merely remnants of old family farm  homesteads and the owners are usually long in the tooth and no longer  in need or want of the old John Deere, I/H, Oliver, Allis Chalmers,  etc.  If approached in just the right way, such goods can be had  AND at the right price.  Sometimes they are in pretty good shape  (read "not seized") and a little TLC (and maybe a head gasket) will  result in a trustworthy worker.
 Just a thought, of course.  I  have no idea if the way things are in western New York in any way  resemble those of Vermont.
  Good hunting!
  JM

"Nadzam, John [MCCUS]" <JNADZAM at MCCUS.JNJ.COM> wrote:  My Kid brother (32), who just built a house on 11 acres in Vermont is on the
fence about buying an old tractor to mow and move snow.  He is unsure about
the reliability/value of getting a 30+ year old tractor. and doesn't' want
to spend a lot of money  Even after he got my $500 20+ year old truck stuck
in the mud and I pulled it our with my $1500 50+ year old Cub (twice).

Anybody got any ideas?
Anybody got any Cub lowboy's (or similar) for sale near Montpelier, Vt.?

John Nadzam (jnadzam at mccus.jnj.com)
51 Cub
51 M
54 SH