[Farmall] Old iron - missing the point?

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 26 09:07:33 PST 2006

GW-
 I have been communicating with friend/member Mike Sloane about  this property (the 25 or so acres) on which we live and have lived for  over thirty years.  Also, he and I have been swapping thoughts and  "courses of action" on another 77 acres that we have that have been  negatively impacted by our beloved town government as they issued  building permits for "cardboard castles" in subdivisions that surround  this holding.
 Though I would guess that I am not the  "conservationist" that you appear to be, we do care about our property  and the "critters" with which we share it.  As an aside, our elder  daughter is in law school, seeking a specialty of environmental and  admiralty law.
 Note, we are over run by deer, so encouraging more  would not be in our interest nor theirs (IMHO).  That creek area  teems with geese and ducks and herons and the like.  Note that if  I don't maintain that area, it would revert to tangled "wildness" in  one season.
 I would love to "talk" with you more about this BUT it  is a bit off-purpose to the group, I would guess.  If you or any  other the good folks would like to hear more and (more importantly)  chime in with suggestions regarding both properties, I would be  interested in that.
 I can be contacted "off group" at  jrmoraninc at yahoo.com.  Again, I am assuming that the "general  population" of Farmall is not overly interested in my particular  situation.
  Thanks.
  JM

Gordon Williamson <warbirdog at santel.net> wrote:    JM, As a conservationist, I would suggest you talk to your state wildlife
managers. There are a vast number of reasons why you should not mow that
lowland bordering the creek. In fact there is a program that pays you to
leave it, called "boundary strips". You can learn about that at the USDA
site. Perhaps you can also plant native grasses in that pasture and have a
spot for other wildlife. Or even plant a food plot that would benefit the
deer.

Gordo in SD

JN-
  While I am not selling my LoBoy, there are many Cubs and "8n"-types
around here.  I would think, however, that Rochester, New York is  too far
from Vermont to suit your "kid brother".
  Maybe a 154 (or so) would be a good match if the deck was in the 60"
range.  Much smaller will make for very long mowing days if he is  cutting
all of the 11 acres.  I use belly-mounted 60" decks and  (for the fields) I
have a 72" rear finish mower and a Mott flail.   I mow something on the
order of 20 acres...some of which is "yard",  some of which is pasture, some
of which is low land, bordered by a  creek.
  JM

"Nadzam, John [MCCUS]"  wrote:  My Kid brother (32),
who just built a house on 11 acres in Vermont is on the
fence about buying an old tractor to mow and move snow.  He is unsure about
the reliability/value of getting a 30+ year old tractor. and doesn't' want
to spend a lot of money  Even after he got my $500 20+ year old truck stuck
in the mud and I pulled it our with my $1500 50+ year old Cub (twice).

Anybody got any ideas?
Anybody got any Cub lowboy's (or similar) for sale near Montpelier, Vt.?

John Nadzam (jnadzam at mccus.jnj.com)
51 Cub
51 M
54 SH