[AT] Cockshutt 35?

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Dec 22 23:43:40 PST 2006

You guys are killing me talking about this Cockshutt 35.  About 15 years ago
a friend of mine had Cockshutt.  I didn't know a thing about it other than
that he had it and used it to drag logs out of the woods, etc.  It was in
original trim and looked really good for it's age.  It was a tri-cycle
model.

One day I passed by his little store and two guys were sitting out front
along with all of my friends possessions including the Cockshutt.  (I'm
pretty sure it was a 35.  The hood was creme colored like the one in
picture.  And that is what I remember it being but didn't know until now
that they were rare.)   Anyway,  I stopped to see what was going on.  They
proceeded to tell me that Tony (my friend and the Cockshutt's owner) was in
the hospital with a severe heart attack, was in terrible shape, had no
insurance and they were trying to raise money to pay for his open heart
surgery.  The guy proceeded to tell me if I wanted the Cockshutt I could
have it for $100 if I had the cash right then.   Of course and as usual in
that sort of situation I didn't have any money on me other than a few
dollars.  On top of that I didn't know Tony was sick, didn't know the two
fellows and wanted to check it all out first.  Of course you know the rest
of the story.  The Cockshutt was gone when I came back.

It was a stupid mistake on my part.  If I had been thinking I'd have gone
down the road about 1/4 mile, borrowed the $100 dollars from another friend
and driven the tractor to the other friends house for safe keeping until I
could check the story out.  Then if it was a true story (and it was) I could
have either paid Tony what the tractor was worth or let him have it back
later on.   I've always regreted the way I handled the deal.  NOW you guys
tell me the thing was rare and I'm sick about it all over again.

Charlie