[Farmall] Farmall Super MTA propane

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 07:12:36 PST 2006

KB-
 Factories seem to be comfortable with "sloppy accounts".   I collect old guitars (e.g., Martins, Gibsons) and those "makers" never  seemed to keep track of how many of a model were manufactured, when,  which materials, etc.  Worse, there was/is no rhyme nor reason as  to serial number assignments.  Maybe that issue is part of the  charm of chasing down old wood (old iron, in your case).
  Best wishes for a pleasant holiday season.
  Jim Moran

Kevin Bish <krsky at alltel.net> wrote:In  reply to the members helping me find out how many Super MTA propane  tractors were made. I have emailed the "Ask McCormick" personnel at the  Wisconsin Historical Archives. They have told me the amount of MTA's  that were produced, but this information they have doesn't tell them a  specific amount for each different fuel type. One of the items that I  was surprised to learn from the information that they sent me was, that  they show (30)1955 Super MTA's being made. My understanding was the  MTA's were only made in 1954. Were these 30 tractors maybe late 1954  model's? I would guess that if some were made for 1955, would the  casting code dates reflect a different letter, other than the Z casting  code?
My thought's about how many MTA propane model tractors is,  that the dealer would send in an order for a certain amount of the MTA  tractors. Then IH would have filled the order for the gasoline and  diesel models, then had a contract with an aftermarket company to  convert the gasoline MTA's, to propane fuel. It would probably be  impossible to find out how many of the propane models were made, being  that it was probably a special ordered tractor. This is just my  opinion, I may be wrong. Open for any replies, and thanks for the  information that you have already sent to me. I will pass any added  information that I may find out, to the members of the list. Thanks  again, Kevin.