[AT] Nice day in Sask.

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 21 20:15:01 PST 2006

Gene Dotson wrote:
>    Ralph;
>    Nice tractor Ralph. Brings back memories of high school days when I
> drove a Co=op E4 and Cockshutt 50 diesel. They were nearly new tractors
> then. Put a lot of hours on them and covered a lot of acres. These were
> big tractors in those days and pulling 3 and 4 bottom moldboard plows we
> could turn a lot of ground. Being young, the long hours were not a problem.
>    I once drove the E-4 into the creek at the end of the field when the
> pin through the universal joint on the steering shaft came out. Had
> started the turn, I thought, and turned around to see if the plow had
> raised, and when I turned around, I was already going down the bank of
> the creek. Fortunately, Jim was also there with the 50 and a chain and
> we pulled it out after putting a bolt in the shaft. As far as I know,
> his dad never heard about that experience.
>
>                        Gene
Hi Gene
I'm guessing you were driving a row crop tractor as there are no u
joints in the 40 or 50 that I have. Just a long straight shaft from the
steering wheel to the worm gearbox up front. I'm not too familiar with
the row crops although I do have the parts books and could look it up.
That must have been a shock to suddenly lose your steering. Good thing
you weren't in "road gear" heading home when it happened.

Ralph in Sask.