[AT] Does Walt have a death wish?

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Dec 20 07:34:38 PST 2006

I meant no offense, Mattias.  I knew when I wrote that, that it might be
interpreted incorrectly, but what I meant is that we in the northern
portions of the Western Hemisphere are finding an inordinate number of our
"help" lines to various companies are not located anywhere close to us.
They are more likely to be in India or somewhere around the countries of the
Pacific Rim.  Historically, computer hacking, spamming, and phishing, is
operating from eastern Europe, the Caribbean, and Africa.

If you want to read an interesting book documenting one of the earliest
International computer hacking cases, get a copy of "The Cuckoo's Egg" by
Cliff Stoll.  He wrote the book more than 16 years ago.  Amazon.com lists
the original book at $0.01 per copy and there have been a couple of reprints
as recently as 2005.  That particular case involved a man operating out of
Hamburg, Germany, and he was selling his information to an eastern European
country.

Around 1995, I found a book store selling it out at $1.00 per copy.  I
bought all they had and gave them away to my colleagues at the university.
At the time, they were "pooh-poohing" our needs for computer security on our
university campus, and I figured there was no better way to change their
thinking than to give them a case history of what the problems are.  That
original case pales in comparison with the things that are happening today.

I'm sorry if my comments offended you, in particular, because I consider you
to be a friend that provides those of us on this forum with a different
perspective on farming, tractors, and life in general.  Besides that, as two
of my  grandchildren continue to grow and thrive in Poland, I'm still
looking forward to the possibility that one of these days I may be able to
meet and visit with you in person as we travel to and from that region.

Have a Merry Christmas, Mattias.

Larry