[AT] Affordable paint recommendations?

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Sat Dec 16 17:45:22 PST 2006

John,

I make my living restoring tractors.  I have used expensive paint to paint
tractors in the past.  The only reason I use it now is because a customer
will requested it. I can get as good of a gloss out of Deere, Case-IH,
Ford/NH paint as I can get with Dupont Imron.

I avoid the $25/gallon paint.  It does not have UV protection. UV protection
helps the paint from fading and chalking. If I put the work into prepping
the tractor for paint, I believe in using a paint that will have some life
to it.  I do not like to prep for paint, that is the hard part, painting is
the easy part.

I have generally settled on using paint from the tractor dealers.  I know
that Valspar makes JD's, Ford/NH, Case-IH, Massey paint.  Some dealers carry
a cheaper paint, but again it does not have the UV protection.  Most paint
average about $50 per gallon.  Valspar hardener is around $30 - $35 per
pint.  I have found it to be less expensive at Case-IH dealer then at Deere
dealers.  It is the same product.

I like using John Deere's Buff Primer/Sealer.  It provide a tough coat of
protection. Regular primer does not seal.  To seal bear metal, you need to
use a sealing primer.  Hence JD's primer/sealer.  The buff color is suppose
to make the top coat color more vivid.  I don't know if that is true or not.
That is what I hear.

There use to be a guy by the name of Eric Rosenthal that would come on ATIS
list.  He is involved with a company called Magnet Paint.  You can Google
them.  I have used their paint.  It is really good stuff.  It was hard, if I
ran short for a project, I would have to wait several days to get more
paint. That is the only reason I don't use their product.  Their prices were
very reasonable.

Lou