[AT] Gone Shopping ??

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sat Dec 9 15:23:38 PST 2006

These things work by heating the water around the firebox.   Then the water
around the firebox is pumped (underground) to the house where it heats the
house.   If you have hot water heat, it can go right into the heating system,
otherwise (more often) there is a heat exchanger in the duct work just like
the one for the Air Conditioner.   You can also put in a heat exchanger for
hot water.

As someone else noted, there can be a lot of antifreeze involved in these
systems.   Though if this is your only source of heat that won't be needed
because you will have a fire (and thus warm water flowing) anytime it is
below freezing anyway (but don't go on vacation).

I'd prefer a Russian fireplace inside myself, but I can see the advantages of
an outdoor unit.      Instead I just heat with natural gas, which is more
expensive, but since I'm not home for days at a time, wood wouldn't save me
money anyway.