[AT] Naming contest

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Dec 2 10:33:52 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
Is this a common practice to name your vehicles and tractors? My new sister
in law has named every car she's owned and we all think it's VERY weird.
I've never heard of such a thing until recently.
Rob

	I typically only name the smaller cute stuff... I suspect that most of the
#$%& Cubs owned by the guys at FarmallCub.com are named. My Cub BTW, is
named "Major". There was a local author of some fame named Charles Major. My
favorite of his works was written as a boy's book (but has pretty universal
appeal) and was titled The Bears of Blue River. The setting was in the early
pioneer days of Indiana (1820's). There is a statue of the main character
holding up two bear cubs, sitting on the local public square. OK, so it is a
long way around that one but that is why I call my CUB "Major".   ;-)   Our
high school sports teams were the "Golden Bears" and the lower school teams
were the Cubs. Bear, cub and Blue River references abound in local
activities. Disney used one of Major's books, "When Knighthood Was In
Flower" for a movie.
	I call my Allis C "Spooky Old Alice" in honor of George Goble...
	For a couple of years now we have been referring to the WUV (Worlds Ugliest
Van) as the "Energizer Bunny" since it just keeps going and going when other
stuff fails...
	When I bought my old 78 Ford 4x4 trailer puller someone had mounted one of
those cowboys made of horseshoes on the front of the hood. It was painted
orange and looked hideous. I was going to take it off but then a couple of
my kids made disparaging remarks about it so I removed it and carefully
repainted it with a brown hat and gloves, a red shirt, light blue pants and
metallic brown boots and bolted it back on. Sure people tend stare at it and
chuckle but I really hate to pass up an opportunity to embarrass my kids...
;-)   ;-)   ;-)   That truck's official name is now "Cowboy".

OK, I'm back now... I had to stop and help Diana separate her finger and
thumb... She was trying to repair a Xmas ornament and was using this super
glue stuff and...   ;-)

We used to have a little model A Ford truck that we called "Little Henry".
I don't normally name the big working stuff but I did once own a 1961 Ford
Falcon that I called #$%& *%&# $#!#...

If I end up using a name that I come up with for my Yanmar instead of one
from the list does that mean that I get to come to Portland and talk to
myself???   ;-)   Nothing new there...

--
"farmer"

The brave may not live forever but the easily frightened may never live at
all.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net