[AT] old expressions

captneb captneb at agristar.net
Wed Aug 2 11:58:06 PDT 2006

Nice!!!  Before the computer, there was "Xeroxlore," all those battered
sheets of "unofficial culture" we carried around folded in our billfolds!
And before that the chapbooks known as Tijuana Bibles.  And jokes that can't
be told anywhere except in the shop when ladies aren't present.  One of the
first things I did in my classes was disabuse anyone of the notion that
folklore is "old stuff."  I wonder what percentage of what we all know about
tractor mechanicking is "official information" from shop manuals, tech
sheets, etc., and how much is passed along from one of us to the other.  I
remember asking the master mechanic in this town once how tight to turn down
a rod cap nut (before I could afford a torque wrench!) and he said, "Rog,
just push on the socket handle until your bellybutton pooches out about a
quarter inch."