[AT] RE: Tubes and tires/fixes / barnyard repair

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 22:27:52 PDT 2006

Lyle,
It all depends on what you are  restoring too. If its factory then the paint
job will not be perfect and the  doors won't always fit and lots of little
things that get by the final check.  But if you are restoring concourse d'
elegance then its a whole different ball  game. You have to be perfect right down to
having all the head bolts lined up.
There are both ways to restoring a tractor or a car and both kinds of people
who do it. I like both I like to see the concourse d' elegance but I also
like  the factory jobs. What I don't like is someone who just sprays some paint
on and  calls it a restore. There is a Farmall   Cub in town that a person did
just that, gave it a good cleaning and sprayed red paint all over everything
and  added some decals to it.  He is trying to sell it but most folks can see
though the flashy paint job and are passing it up.
My old 1945 Case LA is a  long way from being perfect as its a job in
progress between using it on the  farm and slowly getting all the dents out and
priming it as I go it will be a  while before I can get to the final paint job. But
when I get there I hope it  looks real nice like Gene D's. does. Of course it
does have to run good also as  I use it at the local tractor pulls. I was
plowing up a half acre today with it  for a spring garden, it runs pretty good
right now hope it stays that way. That  ground was hard I had resort to my two
bottom plow to just make a full run  without stalling out and spinning the
tires. It hard to spin 18.4 X 30 tires  with close to 9000 lbs on them but I did
just that. This Oregon clay can get  real hard this time of year.
Walt