[AT] RE: f-farmalls

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 29 11:42:23 PDT 2006

>    2. Re:  f-farmalls (Indiana Robinson)

>	I was just commenting to my son at the Portland IN show (330 IH tractors
>  there if I recall the numbers correctly) about all of those platforms. I
>was wondering
>how many board feet of lumber went into all of those platforms if they were
>all
>totalled up.   <(^¿^)>   Probably the trees of a good sized woods.
>	An older fellow here that did custom work with an F-30 had a Behlen road
>gear on
>his. He said one day he had a friend riding on the platform going down the
>road. The
>friend inquired about those cables attached to the brakes. He said he
>explained about
>  the brakes and cultivating corn. He then slowed way down and turned the
>wheel all the
>  way to the left (empty road). He said that the brake locked and the
>governor kicked in
>  and around they went. He always swore that they went around 3 times
>before he got
>  it stopped. He said he never tried that again...   <(^¿^)>

>Farmer,
>    True about the amount of wood, BUT I'd rather put the wood in the
>platform than in a casket. My father told me how the seat pin broke once
>and that platform kept his father from hitting the ground when out
>plowing. Plus it comes in handy as a nice place to eat your lunch...
>
>I know exactly what he meant about those cables. When we were running
>the beast in the woods I was the "lucky" one who had a tree branch catch
>the left side cable and turn me sideways in less time than it took to
>read that. Those brakes do come in handy when plowing and pulling.
>

> > 	I was just commenting to my son at the Portland IN show (330 IH
>tractors
> >  there if I recall the numbers correctly) about all of those platforms.
>I was wondering
> > how many board feet of lumber went into all of those platforms if they
>were all
> > totalled up.   <(^¿^)>   Probably the trees of a good sized woods.
> > 	An older fellow here that did custom work with an F-30 had a Behlen
>road gear on
> > his. He said one day he had a friend riding on the platform going down
>the road. The
> > friend inquired about those cables attached to the brakes. He said he
>explained about
> >  the brakes and cultivating corn. He then slowed way down and turned the
>wheel all the
> >  way to the left (empty road). He said that the brake locked and the
>governor kicked in
> >  and around they went. He always swore that they went around 3 times
>before he got
> >  it stopped. He said he never tried that again...   <(^¿^)>

I can admit to wasting a few board feet on my F-20.  I suspect that the
steering cables were removed about the same time that the road gear and foot
brakes were installed on my F-20.  Loosing those cables was probably a good
idea for safety's sake.  Maybe the farmer using it had an experience like
the guy in the story above.  That big platform on an F-20 or 30 is one of
the neatest things about them.  You can tote people and stuff relatively
safely, its a mobile workbench,  and its a darn handy spot to take a break.
Farmer will have to install this feature on his F-30.  Is that thing ready
for a show yet Farmer?  (grin)