[AT] RE: O.T.--shootin' skunks

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 29 11:32:53 PDT 2006

I saw that episode of Mythbusters also and found it to be very eductaional.
Having started shooting at 10 and owning my own shotgun at 12 I very clearly
remember the rules set out by my Dad.  I was never to point a gun at
something I didn't intend to shoot, I was never to shoot unless I knew
exactly what I was aiming at (had to be a target not random shooting in the
air), and I was to know exactly what was behind what I was shooting at.  I
also very clearly remember the consequences that would come my way if I were
to break those rules.  I wrote about my experience with gun safety to point
out that this is a question that i have never needed an answer to.  All that
said this thread has sparked a bit of curiosity.  The Mythbusters folks
concluded that the falling bullet lost a lot of its "ooompf" because it
started to tumble as it fell.  Now I wonder if anyone has performed this
test using a round ball projectile?  The spherical bullet should not
experience the tumbling problem that its conical cousin had.