[AJD] Safety.."Bolt from the Blue"

Terry terry at watsonbrickson.com
Tue Aug 29 11:03:26 PDT 2006

All I can say is "YIKES!

Terry Hrdlicka
Crete, Nebraska

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Strobel [mailto:Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:02 AM
To: sel; Antique John Deere mailing list; Antique tractor email
discussion group; Ford-Ferguson mailing list
Subject: [AJD] Safety.."Bolt from the Blue"

G'day all;
   Sitting in my chair gazing out the big shed door yesterday, this lag bolt

fell to the floor just next of me.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/553565134/2363304090039077051XHFVYX

  What the hell, I thought.  Looked up at here's the garage door opener
business end laying on my garage door:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/553565134/2455434050039077051lRevaB

  2 hrs earlier that door was closed.  So I consider myself fairly lucky
yesterday.  Bottom line recommend ya'll check your bolts..personally I'm
going to a "J" bolt over the top of the ceiling joist.

  Anytime a wood screw or lag bolt is used, a pilot hole should be drilled
to help prevent splitting of the wood.  As my ole wood shop teacher used to
say: "Only the spiral threads hold."

  My friend Corky had several of his heavy mercury vapor ceiling lights fall

to the floor..After the second one, we took them all down.  Lag bolts had
been used.

  Hope ya'll check yours and maybe prevent a pretty good headache.

  Best Regards,
  RickinMt.