[AT] 6V vs. 12V ignition question update and some more q's

Rick Weaver Rick_Weaver at hilton.com
Mon Aug 28 07:22:12 PDT 2006

Good Morning,

I just wanted to update everyone on what the issue was with the tractor
that wouldn't start.

I had another tractor in the back yard and looked at the distributor.  I
had the wires off by 90 degrees.  Moved them forward on the right place
and it starts now.

@#$%^&*!!

I had taken them off and put a Ziploc over the distributor so wifey
could wash it.  I jotted down the pattern but somehow the piece of paper
disappeared, so I looked at some photos to put the wires back.

I spent several days tinkering.  Anyway, now it has new "just about
everything", including plugs and wires, so it should last a while.

Now to the really weird part.  The tractor in the back yard that I
checked to see the wiring pattern to fix the one in the driveway wasn't
starting either.  On a whim I moved the wires back 90 degrees and the
thing started.  Its wires are now in the position the wires were on the
tractor in the driveway when it wouldn't start.

@#$%^&*!! AGAIN!

But it doesn't run well at all, it won't throttle up, and it needs
choking a little to smooth out.  This would suggest it is running too
lean, but I have backed the adjusting screws out but to no effect.  I
also get some black (not blue or white) smoke, which could indicate a
rich mixture, right?

I just rebuilt the M-S carburetor (maybe I need to work on it again?).
I need to check the timing, but that wouldn't keep it from throttling up
would it?  Any suggestions are welcome.

I haven't yet begun to tinker with the governor linkage because I'm not
sure that is what is wrong.  And if the problem is with the governor
itself, I will have to take the front housing off the tractor, and I
REALLY don't want to do that.

Help!

Rick