[AT] tranny fluids ~ Now brakes

Bob W rgw13 at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 22 12:02:08 PDT 2006

This is the "N" guru, Zane on another board.
http://www.ytmag.com/nboard/wwwboard1.html

AXLE LEAK FIX WHEN NO INNER SEAL ON AXLE AS WITH OLDER 8Ns AND 9N/2N

If the hub is not extremely tight so that you have to have a puller to get
it off I think you can replace the seal yourself. If the hub is tight that
is a good sign you might get it to stop leaking. The problem with the 48 8N
is that it does not have an inner seal like the 51 and 52 do. If the hub is
loose on the axle and it can't be tightened because of the spline being worn
too much to allow any more tightening then you will not be able to stop the
leak the conventional way unless you replace the axle and hub. I hope that
is not the case.

If the axle is worn too much to allow it to be tightened then you might
consider my fix for the leak and leave the hub loose a few more years. To
fix the leak my unconventional way you pull the axle away from the axle
housing about 6 or 8 inches and wrap the axle for about 6 inches from the
outer end of the axle that is exposed with teflon tape. Wipe all the oil
from the housing and then take a caulking tube full of silicone glue and
pump it into the void between the axle and the housing. Keep the hub as
close to the housing as you can till you get the silicone pumped in. Use the
whole tube and then replace the axle into the housing and replace the bolts
etc. Let the silicone cure overnight and then you can go about using the
tractor. Be sure that the oil in the rearend etc is not over full as this
will contribute to the axle leaking.

Zane