[AT] Time for another Indiana tractor?

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Mon Aug 21 17:18:36 PDT 2006

Every several years I seem to be hit by the need to buy a tractor, despite a
wide assortment of facts which would suggest it's not really necessary or
prudent.  Since I just recently reacquired the family 1948 Case after it had
been visiting on another guy's farm for a decade or two, one might think my
need would be met.  Instead I saw this very nice 1940 M Farmall on eBay, and
got it in my head that I had to have it.  Heck of a nice looking tractor,
straight and original, engine stuck but otherwise looked first rate.  Only a
couple of States away, too.

Turned out somebody else wanted it more than me, or perhaps didn't have to
worry about hauling it four or five hundred miles.

So I was disappointed for a while, then I realized the problem:  this
tractor had been for sale in Maryland, which is a fine state, but (except
for the Case) the other tractors I've purchased have all come from Indiana.
So I was evidently trying to mess with divine providence, and that other
guy's higher bid was merely a gentle nudge to get me back on the path of
righteousness.

Too bad I don't have any trips to small Indiana towns any time soon.  Oh,
wait a minute, I'll be in Portland in a couple of days.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net