[AT] 90wt oil

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 21 10:18:23 PDT 2006

I can't speak for other tractor brands, but I know that the manual for
the Ford 9N/2N/8N calls for 90 weight in the transmission and final
drive. And the hydraulic pump is (unfortunately) pretty much integral to
the final drive. That being said, it should be remembered that the Ford
N used pre-WWII technology right through to the end of production in the
early '50s. And in 1939, manufacturers had few choices of
transmission/final lubricants. In the early Farmall H and M "Lift-All"
hydraulic systems, IH recommended 30 weight engine oil, even though
Hy-Tran (essentially modern hydraulic fluid) was commonly available and
used in the Cub and Super A/C "Touch Control" systems.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious
enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer (1924-1987)