[AT] ford oil

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Sun Aug 20 18:06:03 PDT 2006

I have used both 134 and 90w in my 1948 8N.  To some extent it depends
on what shape your tractor is in.

In my case, the lift worked much better in cold weather with the 134
oil, but did tend to leak down faster in hot weather.

When I changed it last year I went back to the 90w oil (bought at the
tractor supply store).  Under light use I am not sure it makes much
difference with oil you use.  Under heavy load I would tend to stick
with the 90w oil, since I am not sure how it would hold up in regards to
lubing the transmission.  (That's my option, anyway... :o).

Not sure if the pump in my tractor has been rebuilt in the past or not.
  Considering it had the original wiring harness on it up to 3 years ago
(decided when I had the tool box out, looked down and saw bare wiring it
was time to fix it... :o0 ), it would not surprise me if it was the
original one.  Pictures of the tractor are at www.moosebird.net, if
anyone cares to look (this is the way it looked when I bought the tractor).

Howard