[AT] transmission oil/fluids

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 04:30:59 PDT 2006

I am with Ralph on this - I use the NAPA generic tractor hydraulic fluid
that is marked as being "equivalent" to Case Hy-Tran and the JD, Case,
Ford hydraulic fluids. The only place I don't use it is in the Ford 2N,
which is supposed to use transmission fluid. I have never had any
problems with hydraulic system using that fluid (that weren't there
before). Petroleum technology has gone so far beyond what was even
contemplated in the early and middle parts of the 20th century, that I
cannot conceive of modern hydraulic fluid damaging older seals. That
being said, if the old seals were hardened and loaded up with oil
residue, it is possible that new clean hydraulic fluid might carry some
of that crud away and open up some leaks. But I doubt it.

I recall old time car mechanics saying that using glycol antifreeze in
an old car would cause the cooling system to leak. But the reality was
that the leaks were already there, and the color of the antifreeze would
show them up. I have a feeling that might be similar to the use of
modern hydraulic fluid in an old system.

Mike

Ralph Goff wrote:
> I'm using Case-IH Hytran plus in all my tractors , both old and new. I
> have no worries about it's compatibility with older machinery.
> Ralph in Sask.
> http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/

>> To those of you that understand oils and lubricants:  Is the modern
>> transmission/hydraulic fluid (eg. Hy-Trans and similar products)
>> suitable for use in the older transmissions.  I'm thinking of the
>> Farmalls, John Deeres etc form the 1930's and 40's.  How about the
>> modern GL-5 transmission oils?  I've heard that additives in some of
>> these are detrimental to some of the bushings and seals.  Any truth to
>> that? Thanks for any feedback.  John

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

How dreadful knowledge of the truth can be when there's
no help in the truth. -Sophocles, (495-405 BCE)