[AJD] John Deere A flywheels and timing marks

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 18:08:43 PDT 2006

    I went to a local JD guy that is parting out
tractors today looking for a flywheel for my AN.  He
had one,  and we pulled it off the tractor.  The
splines look good,  so I took it.

    When I compared it to the one I took off the AN,
the new flywheel does not have the machined 'keyway'
that the little screw fits into on the crankshaft to
line it up.

     The flywheels have the same casting number.  the
one without the keyway has a little tag stamped into
it under the part number that says X19.

      I am guessing that I don't need that little line
up pin,  so I am not too worried about it,  however,
because I assumed it was there now I am not sure that
I am going to be able to line up the flywheel
correctly on the crankshaft.  I did not think to look
for timiing marks so I will have to go and to that
tomorrow.  At least the donor tractor is stuck so it
will be easy to figure out what position the flywheel
came off and I can be certain it hasn't been moved.

                          Chris

Chris Carl
Camano Island, Washington

Collector of: