[AT] Beaver Dams

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 23:08:41 PDT 2006

I have a large beaver dam just above my property  line feeding my pond which
is man made. so this is very interesting to me. It  may be an urban legend but
it is  funny.
This  is an actual letter sent to a man named Ryan DeVries by the
Pennsylvania  Department of Environmental Quality, State of  Pennsylvania. This guy's
response is hilarious, but read the State's letter before you get to the
response letter.

SUBJECT: DEQ File No.97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec.  20; Lycoming County

Dear Mr. DeVries:

It has come to the  attention of the Department of Environmental Quality
that  there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced
parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal  landowner
and/or contractor who did the following  unauthorized activity:

Construction and maintenance of two wood debris  dams
across the outlet stream of Spring Pond.

A  permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity.

A  review of the Department's files shows that no permits have been
issued.  Therefore, the Department has determined that this  activity is
in violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and  Streams, of the Natural Resource

and Environmental  Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being

sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Pennsylvania Compiled Laws,
annotated.

The Department has been informed that one or both of the dams  partially
failed during a recent rain event, causing  debris and flooding at downstream

locations. We find that  dams of this nature are inherently hazardous and
cannot be  permitted. The Department therefore orders you to cease and
desist all activities at this location, and to restore the stream to a
free-flow
condition by removing all wood and brush forming  the dams from the stream
channel. All restoration work shall be  completed no later than January 31,
2006.

Please notify this office when  the restoration has been completed so that
a follow-up  site inspection may be scheduled by our staff.

Failure to comply with  this request or any further unauthorized activity on

the  site may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement
action..

We anticipate and would appreciate your full cooperation in this  matter.
Please feel free to contact me at this office if  you have any questions.

Sincerely,
David L. Price
District  Representative and Water Management Division.

Here is the actual  response sent back by Mr. DeVries:

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N;  R10W, Sec. 20; Lycoming County

Dear Mr. Price,

Your certified  letter dated 12/17/02 has been handed to me to respond to.
I am the legal landowner but not the Contractor at 2088 Dagget Lane,
Trout Run, Pennsylvania.

A couple of beavers are in the  (State unauthorized) process of constructing

and  maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the outlet stream of my
Spring Pond. While I did not pay for, authorize, nor supervise their  dam
project,
I think they would be highly offended that  you call their skillful use of
natures
building materials "debris." I  would like to challenge your department to
attempt to  emulate their dam project any time and/or any place you choose.

I believe I can safely state there is no way you could ever match  their dam

skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam  ingenuity, their dam
persistence, their dam determination  and/or their dam work ethic.

As to your request, I do not think the  beavers are aware that they must
first fill out a dam  permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity.

My first dam  question to you is:
(1) Are you trying to discriminate against my Spring  Pond Beavers, or
(2) do you require all beavers throughout this State to  conform to said dam
request?

If you are not discriminating against these  particular beavers, through the

Freedom of Information  Act, I request completed copies of all those other
applicable beaver dam permits that have been issued. Perhaps we will  see
if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland  Lakes and Streams,
of the Natural Resource and  Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the
Public Acts  of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the
Pennsylvania
Compiled Laws, annotated.

I have several concerns. My first  concern is, aren't the beavers entitled
to legal representation? The  Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute
and are unable to pay  for said representation -- so the State will have to
provide them  with a dam lawyer. The Department's dam concern that
either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event,  causing
flooding, is proof that this is a natural  occurrence, which the Department
is required to protect.  In other words, we should leave the Spring Pond
Beavers  alone rather than harassing them and calling their dam names.

If you  want the stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition please
contact the beavers -- but if you are going to arrest them, they  obviously
did not pay any attention to your dam letter, they being  unable to read
English.

In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers  have a right to build
their unauthorized dams as long as  the sky is blue, the grass is green
and water flows  downstream. They have more dam rights than I do to
live  and enjoy Spring Pond. If the Department of Natural Resources
and Environmental Protection lives up to its name, it should  protect
the natural resources (Beavers) and the  environment (Beavers' Dams).

So, as far as the beavers and I are  concerned, this dam case can be
referred for more elevated  enforcement action right now. Why wait
until 1/31/2006? The  Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice
then and  there will be no way for you or your dam staff to
contact/harass them then.

In conclusion, I would like to bring  to your attention to a real
environmental quality, health,  problem in the area. It is the
bears!  Bears are  actually defecating in our woods. I definitely
believe you  should be persecuting the defecating bears and
leave the  beavers alone.

If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch  your step!
The bears are not careful where  they dump!

Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being  unable
to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am  sending this
response to your dam office.

THANK YOU.
RYAN DEVRIES & THE DAM BEAVERS

Walt Davies