[AT] old expressions

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Aug 2 04:50:29 PDT 2006

Greg, that is "cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey"

A monkey was a tray that looked somewhat like a muffin tin that was used to
stack cannon balls on the deck of  sailing ships.  Once they got the balls
in the indentations on the monkey they could stack more balls on top into a
pyramid shaped pile.  Iron monkeys tended to rust so monkeys were sometimes
made of brass.  In cold weather the brass would shrink at a different rate
than the cannon balls so that it would "freeze" them off the monkey.

Charlie