[AT] Waaay O.T. - Sterling???

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Aug 2 04:29:43 PDT 2006

On 2 Aug 2006 at 1:28, DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:

> Farmer with all that knowledge you have why can't you do what I just did
> enter "Sterling cars" in your search engine and you will come up with this.
> I here you guys always bragging about your High IQs but I have never seen
> any of you ever look anything up on the net and when I do you get all upset and
> bad mouth me about it. .
> Walt
> -------------------
> The  Sterling motor car was a US brand produced by the Rover company of the
> UK. It  was sold from 1987 to 1991. During this period Rover was in
> collaboration with  Honda of Japan.
> The Sterling was a derivative of the Rover 800-series and was  developed
> exclusively for the American market.
> The model was unpopular due to  its alleged poor build quality and feeble
> performance (compared to other US  cars) and was discontinued in 1991, although
> it remained popular in Europe, and  was kept in production until 1998, when it
> was replaced by the Rover 75.
> US  sales hit a high of nearly 15,000 cars in 1988 but fell to less than
> 2,000 for  in 1991.
> Still seen on the U.S roads these vehicles (unlike most "orphan"  vehicles)
> remain maintainable as they are mechanically almost identical to the  Acura
> Legend.

	Thanks Walt, but what I was really after was "personal experiences".
 I look stuff up dozens of times a day but Google nor any other search
engine has the personal experience knowledge of this list. After a decade
here I know who's advice to take to the bank and who's to take with a
grain of salt.
	Interesting to see that it is so close to the Acura Legend. This little car
is surprisingly clean inside and out and pretty nice looking for a 1987. I
will probably pass on it. I would rather pick up something that is really
common. I often regret having sold the little Mercedes 240-D. It was a truly
 great car but parts were high $$$ and I had to drive to Indy for most of them.
 The VW beetle was also a great errand hopping car.
	We have been looking at some older mini-vans but most of them have
 been "rode hard and put away wet". (hey, another old expression). The
interiors are usually really trashed.

	Wish I could afford a Model A Ford...

--
"farmer"

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be
continually fearing you will make one."
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Refurbished Shopsmith's
Good used SPT's