[Ford-ferguson] Re: leaky rear axle seal

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Aug 1 03:09:58 PDT 2006

You don't say what tractor you are working on, but I presume that it is
the 8N in you signature.

As far as the brake shoe, people will tell you that it can't be saved,
and that is probably true for use in a road vehicle. But for a tractor,
I have had good luck washing the material thoroughly with gasoline or
other solvent, drying it as much as possible, and then waving a lit
propane torch over it to burn everything off. This may not be the ideal
solution, and it won't get rid of every drop of oil, but the brakes will
stop the tractor when you push on the pedal.

If it doesn't work for you, then you haven't lost much by trying, and
you can still buy a new set of shoes or take the shoe to a brake place
and have a new surface applied (if you can find one that still does such
things).

I haven't done the axle seals on an 8N, so I can't help you with the
other questions, but I always recommend that folks doing more on their
tractors than a simple tune up find a service manual for the machine,
not depend on the I&T manual. Reproduction or original service manuals
are not hard to come by and not all that expensive. They will usually
save you the cost of the manual in wasted time and expense. The Ford
service manuals are exceptionally well written and illustrated (I wish I
could say the same for Case!). Along with your local New Holland dealer,
you can get the 8N service manual from the 9N-2N-8N-NAA Newsletter
<http://www.n-news.com/index.html>, or any of dozens of on-line old Ford
tractor suppliers. I happen to like dealing with Ankeny Tractor
<http://www.ankenytractors.com/>.

Mike

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
When the loyal opposition dies,
I think the soul of America dies with it.
Edward R. Murrow