[AT] Engine Overhaul

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Apr 30 10:37:53 PDT 2006

I am guessing that it will cost more than the tractor is worth. :-) If
they charge less than $1000, I would be very surprised. Here is why:
they are going to determine that it needs new sleeves and pistons, new
bearings, possibly a new oil pump, new valve guides and the seats
re-ground or replaced, and maybe the crank turned.

Frankly, on 50 year old engine like that, I recommend you tear it down
yourself and see what is what using one of the excellent books available
(like Spencer Yost's "How to Rebuild and Restore Farm Tractor Engines").
Then, when you have it all apart, you can decide which things you want
to do and which the rebuilder should do. With my Ford 2N engine, I got
it down to the bare block and had the machine shop "boil & bake the
block and replace two bad valve seats. He also replaced the one bad
bushing in the oil pump and honed it to the new drive shaft. It was an
interesting experience, and I learned a lot by doing it.

The problem is that these old Ford N tractors are interesting and run
nicely, but they really aren't all that great for doing much more than
cutting grass, plowing a couple of furrows, and pulling a wagon. With
their limited arrangement of the PTO and hitch, anything else can be
better done by a newer tractor, or a model with live hydraulics. So any
time and money you spend on the N is really a "labor of love", not an
investment in a production machine.

That being said, that is my opinion, and it is your money. You should do
whatever you think best in your situation - there is no "right" or
"wrong" thing to do in a situation like this.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Permanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence.
-Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)