[AT] JD 60 manifold gasket

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 07:46:07 PDT 2006

Walt,
    I got that manifold hot enough that it burned through... is that
hot enough for you??? On that set of headers ('79 Camaro) I ran it on
the lean side (19 MPG highway, 350 chevy, 65+ MPH) and had put one of
the fiberglass "patches" around it next to #6 spark plug to prevent
burning the boot off the plug and shorting out the plug wire. It
burned through at the boot because the heat couldn't get out of the
header tube and we ended up cutting away and welding in a new piece of
tube, radiused differently to clear the spark plug.
     Certainly it would have made sense to machine the surface flat
but that would not work on a cheap set of headers... there isn't
anything flat ON them. So I used a different method and it worked, in
spite of your claims that it cannot. I drove that car over 200K miles
on that engine rebuild with that set of headers and I still have it
parked here. You're welcome to come by and visit and I will show it to
you... AND THE HEADERS SEALED WITH SILICONE ULTRA COPPER.
    I DO know exhaust gets hot. I've learned to respect it and deal
with it in ways that are different than you. But don't tell me it
won't work WHEN I HAVE THE PROOF. I think most folks agree that
machining the parts flat is the high road, but as you inferred,
sometimes you cannot get the parts necessary. I am pointing to a
different option. You might find I have made it my life's work to take
on jobs that "can't be done" and I take great pride in proving it can
be done, by lunchtime.

Ken in AZ