[Steam-engine] lubricating oil

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 22:24:06 PDT 2006

Hi Charlie!
     That's the way they did it back then. The closest thing I've found for
these applications is Mobil DTE oil
medium ( ISO 46, about a 20 weight), or Mobil DTE oil heavy medium ( ISO 68,
closer to 30 weight ).
When you trace the history backwards, it is a direct descendant of the oils
used in these systems.
We have a Corliss that has a Richardson-Phenix lube system with a filter box
that purposely percolates the
oil up through a water bath, supposedly cleaning it. This didn't happen due
to surface tension, so oil filtration
kept on evolving, but even if you run the system with no water, it will get
in there from the packings anyways.
Check your connecting rod carefully, you may discover a line leading down to
the big end bearing. It's there
on the Troys, and catches oil coming down from the top and feeds it to the
con. rod bearing.
     About 5 years ago I called Mobil technical service, and they still had
listings for steam engines. It might be
worth a call. Happy Steaming!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy