[Steam-engine] Welded boiler certification?

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 10:40:35 PDT 2006

At least four of us saw a Frick sold at the Derting
auction in Hopkinsville, KY on 3/31.  I was impressed
by the machine and it looked to be 'ready to roll" in
all respects.  There was one glaring issue though.
The engine sported a new welded boiler (the original
dome was reused).  Usually a new boiler is a very good
thing but this one has a hitch.  The boiler shop that
built this vessel does not have a code stamp.  The
boiler may have been built to code but there is no
supporting documentation.  As it stands, this boiler
can not be fired, in public, in KY and many other
states.  Here is my question.  What would it take to
get this boiler certified?  We will need certs for the
materials used.  The boiler would have to be reverse
engineered so that calculations can be performed.
What NDE hase to be done to the welds?  X-ray,
M.T.....?   What else?

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN